Nowadays, many are looking for stronger passports that give them better mobility, rights, and services. Since the Singapore passport is among the best in the world, so many people ask: How to get a Singapore passport?
To answer this question, it is worth first reviewing the Singapore passport, which ranks 24th in the Top Passports Index. It is one of the most powerful passports in the world and it also ranks 1st in the Investment Index.
How to get a Singapore passport?
The Singapore Citizenship Act automatically grants citizenship and passport to individuals born to at least one parent who is a Singapore citizen, regardless of the place of birth.
While being born in Singapore does not make an individual eligible for citizenship as long as his or her parents are not Singapore citizens.
On the other hand, foreigners can apply for Singaporean citizenship after completing the residency requirement which is usually between 8-10 years of continuous residence in the country, provided that they renounce any previous nationalities.
How do I get a Singapore passport?
The Singapore Citizenship Act automatically grants citizenship and passport to individuals born to at least one parent who is a Singapore citizen, regardless of the place of birth.While being born in Singapore does not make an individual eligible for citizenship as long as his or her parents are not Singapore citizens. On the other hand, foreigners can apply for Singaporean citizenship after completing the residency requirement which is usually between 8-10 years of continuous residence in the country, provided that they renounce any previous nationalities.
How to obtain Singapore citizenship?
Singapore citizenship can be obtained through more than one way, which we will review in the following points:
1-Singapore citizenship by birth
- Singapore grants citizenship by birth or what is also known as the “right of blood”, if these conditions are met:
- If a child born was born in or outside Singapore and at least one of the parents is a Singaporean citizen, the law allows a Singaporean mother to pass on citizenship to her children.
- The child must be registered in or outside Singapore within one year of his/her birth.
1-Singapore citizenship by marriage
Individuals can apply for Singapore citizenship if they marry a Singaporean citizen provided that they have resided permanently in Singapore for at least two years, and have been married to a citizen for more than two years as well.
2-Singapore citizenship by naturalization
- Naturalization means that an individual acquires citizenship with the approval of the authorities after fulfilling the legal requirements, which are:
- The applicant must be 21 years of age or older.
- The applicant must have been a permanent resident of Singapore for at least two years.
- The applicant can be a child under the age of 21 legally adopted by a Singaporean citizen.
- The applicant must have passed at least one national examination.
3-Singapore Citizenship by Investment
There is no Singapore Citizenship by Investment Program yet, but there is a residency by investment program.
Singapore passport ranking
The Singapore passport ranks 15th in the Top Passport Index and topping all Asian and African countries.
Singapore performs very well in the Enhanced Mobility and Investment Indexes, ranking 1st, but its overall ranking is negatively affected by its ranking in the Quality of Life Index with 130th place.
Dual citizenship in Singapore
Singapore does not recognize dual citizenship, except where a child born abroad to Singaporean parents can retain the citizenship of the country of birth until the age of 21, and then have 12 months to renounce the foreign citizenship, or revoke his Singaporean citizenship.
Obtaining Singaporean citizenship is not an easy process, as there is no citizenship by investment program in Singapore, in addition to the fact that it does not recognize dual citizenship. Therefore, many are turning to other options such as Employment Pass and Residency by Investment programs.
Residency in Singapore by Investment
Investors can obtain residency in Singapore through the Global Investor Program, which grants residency for 5 years, renewable for different periods, and the conditions are:
- Invest a minimum of 2,500,000 Singapore dollars.
- Creation of a new business entity or the expansion of an existing business operation or an investment fund.
- The investor must have a large commercial record and an entrepreneurial background.
- The investment must be made within 6 months after the initial approval of the permanent residence.
After the authorities agree to grant permanent residence to the investor, they receive a 5-year Re-entry Permit (REP), which allows him to enter Singapore at any time, and maintains Singaporean immigration status when abroad.
Renew residence permit in Singapore by investment
When the investor wants to renew his residence in Singapore for 3 years, they must meet some conditions, which are:
- The investor (or a family member) has resided in Singapore for more than half of the past 5 years (first residence period).
- The investor must have created job opportunities for at least 5 Singaporean citizens, whether in the company they established or in the existing business in which they invested.
- The investor must have annual business expenses of at least 1,000,000 Singapore dollars.
Singapore Employment Pass (EP)
The Singapore Ministry of Manpower issues foreign employees, skilled workers, managers, owners or directors of Singaporean companies a work visa, also known as the Singapore Employment Pass, which allows work and live in Singapore and travel and return without the need for visas.
The Singapore Employment Pass (EP) grants a work permit valid for 1-2 years and is renewable. Possession (EP) also helps in obtaining permanent residence in Singapore later. The requirements for obtaining the Singapore Employment Pass (EP) are:
- The applicant’s salary should be a minimum of 4,500 Singapore dollars per month.
- The applicant should be working in an administrative, executive or specialized position.
- The applicant should have a university degree from a reputable university.
The Bottom line, Singapore does not give its citizenship by investment but there are other ways to obtain a Singapore passport by marriage, naturalization and certainly by birth.
It is also possible to apply for a permanent residence or work visa in Singapore